Local farmers are happily reporting that their plants are “loaded down” with berries already! You can pick your own berries usually for around a couple of dollars a pound, or you can buy them already picked for a little more. And in both cases, there is no sales tax because the berries are grown by your local farmers.
Here are two fantastic strawberry recipes to enjoy this spring:
Strawberry Basil Moscow Mule Cocktail | The ultimate spring libation!
5 fresh strawberries
5 fresh basil leaves
1 1/2 ounces vodka
juice from 1/2 fresh lime
optional 1 tablespoon agave if you like a sweeter cocktail
you will also need copper moscow mule mugs
Muddle strawberries and basil with a splash of the ginger beer & lime juice. Add the vodka, give a quick stir. Top with plenty of ice & ginger beer. Garnish with strawberries & basil.
Strawberry Fudge Pie
1 box Pillsbury™ refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
1 Betty Crocker™ fudge brownie mix (10.25 ounce pouch)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 egg
- 1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 3 cups fresh strawberries, halved
- 2 tablespoons hot fudge ice cream topping
- 1 Heat oven to 350°F. Place pie crust in 9-inch glass pie pan as directed on package for one-crust filled pie.
- 2 In large bowl, combine all brownie layer ingredients; beat 50 strokes with spoon. Spread in bottom of crust-lined pan.
- 3 Bake at 350°F. for 30 to 35 minutes or until top is shiny and center is set. If necessary, cover edge of crust with strips of foil after 15 to 20 minutes of baking to prevent excessive browning.
- 4 Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanilla and 1 egg; beat until smooth. Working quickly, drop cream cheese mixture by small spoonfuls over partially baked brownies; carefully spread to cover brownie layer. Bake an additional 18 to 20 minutes or until cream cheese is set. Cool at least 1 hour.
- 5 Arrange strawberry halves, cut side down, over top of cream cheese layer. Refrigerate 1 hour or until serving time. Immediately before serving, place ice cream topping in small microwave-safe dish. Microwave on DEFROST for 45 seconds. Spoon into small resealable plastic bag; seal bag. Cut small hole in bottom corner of bag; squeeze bag to drizzle topping over pie. Store in refrigerator.