With Memorial Day around the corner, cook outs generally have a red, white, and blue theme. So keep with that theme and make one of the most popular summer treats, Jell-O!! These Firecrackers can be for kids or you can make an adult only version too! Just make sure you can tell them apart!
- 1 3oz pack Blue Jell-O Gelatin
- 1 3oz Red Jell-O Gelatin
- 1 envelope Unflavored Gelatin (like Knox)
- 1 1/3 cups boiling Water
- 1 cup Milk
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- Maraschino Cherries drained
- Plastic Shot Glasses
- Place blue gelatin in a bowl and add 2/3 cup boiling water.
- Stir until dissolved and allow to cool.
- Fill each cup 1/3 full of blue gelatin mix and place in refrigerator for about 15 mins.
- Add 1/3 cup of milk to another bowl and sprinkle unflavored gelatin over top.
- Heat remaining 2/3 cup of milk to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar to dissolve.
- Add heated milk to gelatin/milk mixture and stir until blended.
- Allow to cool.
- Gently fill all cups the next 1/3 of the way with white mixture and return to refrigerator for about 15 mins.
- Place red gelatin in a bowl and add 2/3 cup boiling water.
- Stir well until dissolved and allow to cool.
- Place a cherry on top of each glass and add about 1/4? of red gelatin to each.
- Place in refrigerator for 5 minutes.
- Pull from refrigerator and try to adjust to get stems to point upward.
- Fill each cup the rest of the way with red and place in refrigerator.
ADULTS ONLY ALCOHOLIC VARIATION Prepare as directed, reducing the boiling water to 1 cup and dissolving each of the blue and red gelatin mixes in 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir 1/4 cup vodka into each flavor of gelatin, then continue as directed.
SUBSTITUTE Substitute blueberries and/or small strawberries for the cherries.
SPIKED CHERRIES: ADULTS ONLY Place cherries in a glass jar. Add 1/2 cup vodka; cover with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate at least 2 hours; drain. Pat dry, then use as directed.