It’s that time of year where festival lineups are being released, schools coming to an end and the weather is hot.
So of course we are starting to get excited for festival season! I always over prepare for festivals so I don’t have to worry about anything while I’m there. Some people don’t bring food to festivals at all and just eat the food there, however this can be expensive. Some only eat the food they brought from home but this can be time consuming and inconvenient.
I like to be somewhere in the middle. I bring lots of snacking foods, and pre-made, easy to eat meals but I usually plan for 1 food vendor meal/day (usually a greasy breakfast to cure my hangover haha). It’s probably going to be HOT and you’ll have limited cooler space. You probably will be intoxicated of some sort and will be unable to cook/too lazy. Ice in your cooler will melt and you need to be careful that things don’t get soggy. Some festivals don’t allow BBQ’s or stoves. You don’t want to run out of food, but you also don’t want food to go to waste. After dancing all day in the hot sun while intoxicated your body is going to be tired and sore, so you need to replenish it with healthy foods, which isn’t as easy as it sounds because you’ll be surrounded by chips, burgers, bacon, and sweets.
So here are food ideas for you (prep food before you go):
- Pre-made and packaged sandwhiches like breakfest sandwiches
- Pre-made muffins
- Sausage stir fry with veggies
- Cheeseburgers, hot dogs, and veggie dogs
- Pre-made pasta salad, tuna salad, chicken salad (Suddenly Salad is amazing http://www.bettycrocker.com/products/suddenly-salad)
- Pre-cut veggies, chips, dip and hummus
- Tacos with black beans, tortillas, shredded cheese, peppers and chicken sausage
- Instant ramen with fresh chopped veggies
- Fresh tomatoes, avocados, and fruit are healthy whole foods that go great with camping meals
- Salad in a cup- bring ingredients separate from the dressing then mix/toss together before serving
- Trail Mix (healthy or not)
- Bottled Smoothies
- Cheese, Crackers, and Deli Meat
- Snack Boxes
- Cold pizza (actually so good for festivals)
- Energy bars like Clif, Luna, PowerBars
- Beef Jerky and Pepperoni Sticks
- Pudding, Apple Sauce, Jell-o, Fruit cups, Etc…
- Snacks in cups (works great for cereal)
- Junk food, of course
- Bring S&P, paper plates, paper bowls, cutting board, sharp knife and some napkins.