We have unique dinner tradition on Christmas Eve with my immediate family. My mom makes split pea soup. It’s a tradition that goes back as long as I can remember. I can be nostalgic, so when I think of traditions around the holidays that is one that sticks out. Top it off with a little sour cream and chopped up pieces of bacon, it’s perfect.
Split Pea Soup
1 – 16 oz. pkg. dry split peas
1 – 8 oz. pkg. sliced bacon
2 celery stalks, diced
1 large onion, diced
8 C water
2 medium potatoes, peeled & diced
2 t salt
1/4 t cracked black pepper
3 beef bouillon cubes
1 bay leaf
1 C half and half
Optional: sour cream for garnish
1) Rinse peas in running cold water and discard any stones or shriveled peas; set aside
2) Cook bacon in pan until browned (cut in 1 inch pieces before cooking) reserve bacon for garnish
3) In bacon fat, in Dutch oven over medium heat, cook celery and onion until lightly browned – about 15 minutes. Add split peas, water and next 5 ingredients. Over high heat, heat mixture to boiling. Reduce to low, cover and simmer 45 minutes or until peas are very tender, stirring occasionally.
4) Discard bay leaf. Fill blender container 3/4’s full at a time with pea mixture. Cover blender and blend at high speed until pureed; pour into large bowl.
5) Return pureed mixture to same Dutch oven; stir in half and half. Over medium heat cook until hot, about 5 minutes stirring often – do not boil.
6) To serve sprinkle bacon on top and garnish with sour cream
Makes: 12 cups or 16 3/4 servings
We make a dessert snack that I can’t get enough of. You take graham crackers and lay them out on a sheet. Then you take a concoction of sugar and butter. Once you’ve melted it down you pour it over the crackers and then sprinkle bits of pecans on top. You let the mixture harden and you’ve got a nice sugary snack.
Graham Cracker Cookies
2 Sticks Butter
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Pecans
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Grease Cookie Sheet
Lay Graham Crackers on sheet
Bring butter and sugar mixture to boil
-Boil 2 minutes
Pour over crackers
Sprinkle with pecans
Bake in oven for 10 minutes
Remove from oven
Let cool and then break apart
My favorite Christmas I woke up to find Santa had brought a motorcycle for me. It was a Yamaha 50 with the fat tires. We rode the wheels off that thing. My brother and I had a lot of fun riding that for a couple years. It was also the year it clicked that Santa wasn’t real. I was like there’s no way he shrunk that thing to get it down the chimney, haha. But it was worth it to get that motorcycle.
Amy Grant, A Christmas Album. I grew up listening that album on repeat throughout the holidays.
Home Alone for sure. As a kid, I wanted my parents to leave me at home so I could save the day like Kevin McCallister. A close second would be a Harry Potter movie marathon.
Favorite Song Of 2017
Every Little Thing Carly Pearce
The Weight Of These Wings Miranda Lambert
Plans For 2018
Keep singing country music and driving fast race cars.
First Meal for anyone visiting Atlanta
For some good southern cooking I’d send someone to Mary Mac’s Tea Room.