I happened into this recipe by accident when cooking for my holiday party. I planned to do tortellini with pesto, mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil. I overcooked the pasta and the jar of pesto looked like poop. Needless to say they both went in the trash. I just picked up some Halo oranges on a whim so started brainstorming. I have had oranges with basil, olive oil, and salt that is DELICIOUS, so figured why not. This recipe is gluten-free, vegetarian, and requires no cooking. I bet this is even better with fresh summer vegetables, but the red and white of the cheese and tomatoes are really festive.
California Caprese Salad
- 8 ounces mozzarella sliced in cupes or the mozzarella pearls
- 1 pint of grape tomatoes
- 4 Halo oranges
- Extra-virgin olive oil (use the best you can afford)
- balsamic glaze (or red balsamic glaze)
- black pepper
- Slice mozzarella into small cubes. Slice tomatoes in half. Peel skin off orange and pull apart the pieces.
- Put them all in a bowl to together. Add salt, pepper, drizzle olive oil, balsamic, and basil.
- Pour yourself a glass of wine and enjoy your salad!