This is a recipe that I created by modifying a few online recipes with what I had in my kitchen. It was easy and quick. I will never buy Alfredo in the jar again! I must warn you, this recipe is not for the health conscious. Enjoy!
- 9 ounces Buitoni fettuccini pasta (in the refrigerated section by the cheese at the store)
- 1 cup butter
- 3/4 pint heavy cream ( by the milk and coffee creamers)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (more as needed)
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Tbsp minced garlic
- 8 ounces fresh portabella mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 dash garlic salt
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 3/4 cup grated cheese ( I used Mozzarella but whatever white cheese you prefer)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese ( I like Sargento)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water and a tbsp of olive oil to a boil. Add fettuccini and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain.
- In a large saucepan,melt 2 tablespoons of butter on medium heat.
- Add olive oil, minced garlic, and shallots. Cook shallots until slightly caramelized.
- Add the mushrooms and mix together until they start to cook down. If the pan appears dry, add a little more olive oil (or beer) as needed. Cover and Cook until the mushrooms are tender, about 6-7 minutes. I add a little red pepper for heat.
- Once the mushrooms are tender raise the heat a little and add the cream and remaining butter stirring frequently until the sauce starts to bubble and thicken, then reduce the heat back to medium and add salt, pepper, and garlic salt.
- Add the cheese gradually incorporating all ingredients together. Do not add the cheese all at once or it will not melt properly and clump in the sauce.
- Stir until the sauce is thick and add the pasta to sauce. Use enough of the pasta so that all of the sauce is used and the pasta is thoroughly coated. Top with more cheese and parsley. Serve immediately and enjoy!